Writer's Voice Entry: THE MIRRORMASTERS

(A huge thank you to Brenda Drake and Krista Van Dolzer  and their lovely co-hosts of The Writer's Voice, as well as to all the participating agents! Best of luck to each and every contestant--the competition is fierce this year!)

Query:

Leah Ellis never knew her origins, or why she was found on the beach
at two years old, all alone. Now fifteen, she has always focused on
her life with her adoptive family and best friends in their small town
of SeaCliff Heights. The past hasn’t mattered. That is, until she
begins seeing images in mirrors she can’t explain--cloaked figures
using powers that manifest like lightning bolts, or flash-frozen
beaches on another world beneath a purple sky. As she practices
mirror-gazing, she finds out that it’s kind of addictive with its
wild, boundless power coursing through her veins. Soon, she learns to
control what the mirror shows her.

When new neighbors move in, Leah is shocked that they're dead ringers
for the people in her visions. Brian, with the gorgeous ice-blue eyes,
and his father, were sent by her birth parents to take her from Earth
back to Jantyr, a planet she doesn’t remember. They’ve searched for
her ever since she disappeared. According to them, she is a
MirrorMaster, an alien with a gift that lets her travel through
mirrors, even to worlds light years away. Because of this rare
ability, Jantyr needs her help to locate and wield crystals that will
stop an impending cataclysm, a cataclysm triggered by a device on her
homeworld. Otherwise, the destruction will consume the entire galaxy,
including Earth and everyone she loves.

THE MIRRORMASTERS is a 99,000-word work of speculative fiction for young
adults. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Warmest Regards,
Lora Palmer



First 250:


My eyes flashed open at the sound of a woman's scream. I stretched my legs. I’d been curled up on the couch so long my knees ached while watching some cheesy old horror movie.  Whenever I tried to focus, anxiety, persistent and unrelenting as a storm tide, fragmented my thoughts and made my palms sweat. Every year on this date, something strange happened, like mysterious pulses of light in the forest and not-quite-solid figures that appeared in the cemetery one second and disappeared the next. 

I couldn’t shake the awful intuition that this year would bring something much worse than the usual weirdness.

Chilling music, followed by sounds of strangled sobs and hitching breaths, sent a shiver down my spine. On the television screen, the killer claimed his next victim. Flinching, I put a hand over my eyes too late to avoid the sight. I wrinkled my nose and turned to my brother David and best friend Kara, who were sitting on the love seat engrossed in the film. The screen faded to black. As the end credits rolled, I grabbed the remote and changed the channel.

“Let’s watch something light when the others get here,” I said.

“Leah, Leah, Leah.” David shook his head and laughed. “Don’t tell me you want to watch some lame comedy when we can have a classic slasher fest. Besides, it’s tradition.”          

“Oh, come on!” I shot him a pleading look. “I’m sure your finals were easy, but I took three AP exams this week—I think I deserve a break.” 

Comments

Popular Posts