Title Your Life

This Week's YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday Topic: NAME THIS LIFE: What would your memoir be called?


A memoir is probably near the top of the list of things I will not be writing. Ever.  Sure, as a teen, I used to keep a diary, but reading those pages later and reliving those awkward middle and high school moments made me cringe.  Even reading my thoughts from back then was not a fun experience. Fiction is much more fun to write, anyway.


My grandmother, though, says she would have liked to have written her memoirs, and I wish that she had.  She's had an incredible life and has amazing stories to tell. Maybe in years to come, for my family, I'll change my mind and write my story so that they're not left wishing that I had written it. Maybe I'll think back and consider my own amazing stories--because we all have them to tell (or keep to ourselves)--and finally share them in written form.


If I ever did, it would be called Unwritten, because like the song by Natasha Beddingfield, it would be about experiencing life to the fullest, finding and putting down the words I couldn't find before to describe my life, and no matter my age when it's written, this life journey would be just the beginning of the unwritten story to come!



Comments

  1. I must admit, I never expected I would enjoy relating stories of my ordinary-to-me past to my teenage kids, especially when they seem interested and think some aspect was "cool." Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be worth committing to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect title considering you don't really want to write your memoirs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great way of looking at it. A memoir feels like something that you write at the end of along and uneventful life. I think people our grandparents' age lived through so much interesting history that it merits a memoir. My life from the late 70s until now? Not quite so eventful or interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to judge what other people might find extraordinary--your grandmother probably thought she had an unremarkable life while she was living it, and only when she looked back was she able to see it in context. I have an (older) friend who is fascinating to me--even listening to her talk in her Brooklyn-English-Australian accent is a kick. She's had people urge her to write a book about her life, but she poo-poos it as boring. One of her daughters is a writer and I've warned her, "If you don't write it, I will!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why it's a good idea to keep some kind of record of the mundane things, the day to day - because our day-to-day might be cool some day.

    Robert Brault said this 'Remember the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.' Totally applies, in this and lots of other things.

    No clue what I'd title my memoirs. I like your title though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colin, that's wonderful that you're sharing those stories with your kids! Hmm, maybe it would be fun to try a journal or something like that again, though it's sometimes a challenge as it is to get in some writing time :).

    Thanks, A.K.! This was a fun writing prompt this week, as always. =)

    Yours, too, Liz! Wow!

    Jaime, I don't know. I bet our grandparents' generation felt the same way. We've seen a lot in our lifetimes, and we do have a lot to tell, I think, about all that our generation has seen and experienced.
    I mean, we got to experience some of the earliest video games, some great classic movies, unbelievable advances in technology, and more than a few historic events.

    Very true, Angelica. It's all in the perspective. I hope your friend writes her biography :). Oh, that sounds like a lovely accent! I've heard similar.

    Good point, Joseph! Maybe I should do more to record the everyday things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed. I won't ever write a memoir either but I do like reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read memoirs, or at least not many, but I think I'd like reading them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment