Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Moment

Before we get to the post, I just wanted to advertise the two interviews I've posted this past week with fellow AQC'ers  Mindy McGinnis and Matt Sinclair on a new anthology, Spring Fevers.  Don't forget to check them out while you're here.

Yes, it's time for another YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday!


This Week's Topic:
A long-awaited kiss, a surprise ending, a character's sudden decision…  these are the moments that make us smile, gasp, and LOVE a book for the rest of our lives.


This is a really difficult question, because there are so many of them.  The moment in The Darkangel Trilogy when Aeriel and Irrylath finally get together. The moment when Aeriel confronts the White Witch. The amazingly brilliant first chapter of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE when Amy is frozen, and the jaw-dropping revelation in A MILLION SUNS.  The moment in DIVERGENT when Beatrice chooses her faction. The later scene when Four shows Tris his fear landscape, and she realizes his real name. 

What are your favorite literary moments, the ones that you still remember vividly long after you close the pages of the book? What moments speak to your heart?

15 comments:

  1. Mine has to be Hagrid telling Harry Potter that he was a wizard. That moment brings tears to my eyes till this very day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! I love that one, too. From Deathly Hallows, I loved Snape's death scene ("Look at me.") and The Prince's Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that moment when Tris chooses her faction. Veronica Roth set that moment up well, where you genuinely felt the struggle: stay with her family's faction, or go with what she believes to be right for her? And even if you suspected what she would choose, it's still a *woah* moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read any of those but they are on my list and slowly creeping higher with each wonderful thing I read about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved those moments in Divergent too. And a MILLION SUNS revelation?...sounds like I need to read that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep setting down A Million Suns to read other things. Now? Yeah, it just got bumped to the top of my stack again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying to find A Million Suns and failing miserably. I'll have to get it off Amazon. I quite enjoyed the twists in the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved when Four shows Tris his fear landscape. That was a really great moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great moments from DIVERGENT :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oo I forgot the moment where Four shows Tris his fear landscape. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colin, she really did set that moment up perfectly., and the struggle within Tris made for such great reading. I also loved that 'woah' moment when Caleb chose Erudite. It was both "woah" and "I should have seen that one coming."

    Eve, they really are fantastic books. Hope they live up to your expectations when you get around to reading them :).

    Jennifer, you definitely should! I admittedly got spoiled ahead of time because I found what the revelation was on Goodreads. But it still was a jaw-dropping moment when I get to it..

    You're welcome, Daisy! It's totally worth finishing :)

    Miss Cole, it's surprising the book is hard to find. I remember going to the Barnes and Noble just after the release, just to see a physical copy (I had it pre ordered to my Kindle, and saw none, so I guess that shouldn't surprise me. Still, it's odd, though. Definitely go the Amazon route if you need to get ahold of one.

    Thanks, Liz! Looking forward to reading yours if you put them up on your blog.

    Crystal, it really i one of the most touching scenes. To think that he would show Tris something so personal, to reveal who he was that way....very intense!

    Thanks, Elodie and Rachael! I am sooo looking forward to May, when we can pick our memorable INSURGENT scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm putting A Million Suns on my list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't read Revis (I should be ashamed, I know!). I thought Roth did a great job with all the moments of that book-- she's deft with setting up suspense. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber, I think you'll be glad you did! :)

    Katharine, hope you get a chance to read Beth Revis if you choose to. I so agree about Veronica Roth. She's incredible at crafting suspense. Can't wait to see what suspense she has in store with Insurgent!

    ReplyDelete