Best February Read







This Week's YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday Topic:
What was the best book you read in February?

I read two fantastic books this month: Angelfall by Susan Ee and Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. Aren't their covers gorgeous?







Book description from Amazon:

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again."



My review:


This was definitely my favorite of the two books this month, though I loved both.  But Angelfall had a sharp, engaging writing style that just carried me through this gritty apocalyptic tale. The characterizations were vivid, and the relationships between the characters were spot on. In particular, the author handled the mental illness (schizophrenia) of Penryn's mother, and its impact on their family with a tremendous sensitivity and grace. This fast-paced quest will leave you wanting more.  Good thing the sequel will be released this summer!






Book description from the author's website:


"NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.
NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?
HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?"



My review:

This was a beautiful, lyrical tale. I loved the relationship between Ana and Sam, the mystery of why Ana was born and what happened to the one she replaced--Ciana, and the worldbuilding of Heart society and the dangers it faces. Good thing this is a sequel, too, but sadly we have to wait until next year to find out how the story continues...


So, what was your favorite February read? I can't wait to see everyone's picks. I'm sure as we check everyone's answers and blog posts, there'll be lots of books to add to our to-read lists!

Comments

  1. Love that Angelfall cover! I didn't read as much this month, so my choice was easy: I Am Half Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Angelfall cover is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these! Incarnate is on my list to read next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. INCARNATE looks like such an interesting concept. I keep hearing such good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read much this past month; I was too busy writing. I did manage to finish Mockingjay after starting The Hunger Games series the month before. Interesting picks by the way. I'll probably check out Angelfall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angelica, I love that title! I'll have to check out I Am Half Sick of Shadows.

    Laurie, it really is. The story itself is really dark, but that cover.....just lovely!

    Liz, I'd love to hear what you think of it when you read it!

    Crystal, it's really a unique story. I've never been the new kid in school because my family never moved around when I was growing up, but I imagine being a new soul when everyone else has known each other for millennia would be like that times a million. Even worse for Ana, because she was born in someone else's place.

    Michael, how did you like the Hunger Games series? Once I started it awhile back I couldn't stop reading and had to get all the books. Now I can't wait to see the first movie later this month. It looks fantastic. I really think you'll like Angelfall, especially if you're a Hunger Games fan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment