Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Use Your Senses



This Week's Topic:
The Five Senses. How you use them in your writing, how you are inspired by them, pictorial essays, that character with smelly socks, books that have used them well, the ones that are currently missing from your work, etc.



This is a fun question! 


I think most of my story is focused on sight, describing what people see, the glances between them, etc.


There are definitely opportunities to capitalize on the sense of touch: the soft, warm fur of Leah's family dog, the oppressive and deadly heat of an office fire, the icy cold water of a river that flows through the jungle on her homeworld Jantyr.


I'm realizing I do have a lot of places where I could include scent-- the scent of delicious foods wafting from the pavilion at the beach, coconut-scented suntan lotion, the smell of salty air, Brian's clean-smelling cologne,  the fresh scent of the air on an unspoiled world.


For taste, I've included different meals and can describe their flavors. Oh, and I can't forget the awesome fruit smoothies that Leah and her friends enjoy at the local hangout, The Wharf.


I'm realizing now that I do have a lot of sound included in The MirrorMasters - screams, cheering and clapping, the humming melody of crystals, the singing of the desert sands. 


I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone else does for this week's awesome YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. It's funny how many people are saying they weren't really aware of including sensory details, but once they start thinking about it they come up with all kinds of examples. It's just proof of how real our made-up worlds become to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I dissect my writing, I notice I use all the senses more often than I realize, but I'd like to enhance them. It's those small details that can make a scene spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Angelica! It's amazing how many sensory details we include that we only realize when we really think about it.

    Medeia, I found the same thing. I definitely want to enhance the sensory details on edits. Here's to adding those sensory details and making our scenes spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree!! I've just finished the first draft of my novel and as I've been editing it I realized that I use so much more descriptive language than I originally thought! (Of course it needs work but I thought that was interesting.)
    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jess! It is tons of work creating a novel. I'm almost at the point of finishing the first draft, and it's both exciting and a bit daunting to think how much work there is ahead.

    I'm loving WriteOnCon, because it's an awesome place to get feedback on things to consider for those edits. Great to meet you there :)! Here's to a fun, exciting road ahead as we polish those manuscripts until they shine and are ready for publication!

    <3, Lora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fantastic blog!!! Glad I found it! Love it!!!

    Lola x
    http://lola-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Lola! I'm glad you found this blog and can't wait to check out yours :)

    ReplyDelete