The Elevator Pitch: Hook 'Em Quickly!



This week's YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday blog carnival writing prompt is a fun and challenging one.

You're re-reading one of your favs when someone asks the dreaded question: "What's that book about?" Give us your best off-the-cuff blurb of any book, any genre, and have your readers try to guess the title in the comments!

Coming up with a hook isn't easy. It's a challenge to convey in a sentence or two who the main character is, what they want and what the stakes are, and who or what stands in their way. Last Thursday, we had a hook workshop on Agent Query Connect's weekly chat, so this gives me a place to show off my shiny new hook for The MirrorMasters. Let me know what you think!

Fifteen-year-old Leah Ellis discovers that she is actually from another planet. Now she has a mission to save her homeworld--if the traitors responsible for unleashing the apocalypse don’t destroy her first. 

Here's the elevator pitch of one of my favorite books: A popular, self-centered teen dies in a car crash one cold February night after leaving a party. Now she relives her last day seven times, giving her seven chances to set her life right, and maybe save another's life in the process.

So, leave your guesses in the comments! I can't wait to see what everyone else has come up with this week :)

Comments

  1. The MirrorMasters sounds very cool!

    I think your pitch is for BEFORE I FALL, but I haven't read that one yet, so I can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo. Your book does sound good (yay, YA sci-fi!)

    I loved the book you pitched...such a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skimmed your intro and thought the pitch was for a book already published, and my reaction was "No idea but I totally want to read that!" -- so, good job! :D

    I've heard the summary for the published book you pitched, but I can't remember the name *head scratch*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pitch- it sounds way cool. I agree with the poster above with Before I Fall. A great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Before I Fall - I almost did that one. Loved it!

    And whoa - love Mirror Masters. I'm sold on the pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Before I Fall yet! But its sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your feedback on the pitch for The MirrorMasters! It's awesome to know that it works! :)

    And, yes, the pitch for the hook challenge was for Before I Fall. It's an amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pitch. It's from one of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm terrible at this. My crit group has a challenge this month to write ours in four different forms. I'm hoping they'll help me fix mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Medeia! It's one of my favorites, too! I also really liked her latest novel, Delirium.

    Hi, Donna! Thanks for the follow :). Creating a hook and pitch isn't easy. It's a great challenge, though. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lora!

    I popped in after seeing a comment you made on Donna's blog. That's what is so neat about this blogosphere. I'm not that big on YA or fantasy, but "Before I Fall" sounds like a great find! I've got to expand my horizons.

    And Leah's story sounds very interesting! Please keep posted on the progress. I'd like to follow it if I may.

    Best-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Bryce! The blogosphere is great like that. "Before I Fall" is amazingly done, and I am in awe of how the main character's journey from self-centered and insensitive to a bit more insightful and thoughtful was portrayed. And the way each day was different, playing out the consequences of each little or major decision, was incredible.

    Thanks for your feeedack on The MirrorMasters. I will definitely keep you posted on the progress, and I'd be glad to have you follow it :). So far, I've got four chapters to go before a first draft is complete.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts