Celebrate Successes



Celebrate successes  seems to be a theme in my day today. I had a training in team building at work--which was totally fun and full of great activities--and one of the final stages in team building involved celebrating successes along the way.  It gives encouragement and motivation to keep going and to reach for even greater successes. It's so important to recognize even the smaller gains along the way as well as to celebrate reaching the larger goals.

It's so appropriate, then, that today's YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday prompt would be how we each celebrate reaching our writing goals, both small and large.  After I finish each chapter, I usually celebrate by sharing the accomplishment, either here, on my website, or on facebook.  I also mark it on my google calendar to display it on my website. It's great to be able to look back and see my progress! I also treat myself to more time watching TV or reading a new book. I've even treated myself to ice cream at Coldstone Creamery once or twice. When I finally finish a first draft, I'll probably celebrate with my husband by going out to dinner and a movie or something.  If and when I get an agent, and/or if and when The MirrorMasters is actually accepted for publication, the celebration would have to be something awesome, like a weekend roadtrip.

I recently wrote about some of my other writing goals, such as participating in writing contests and submitting short stories for publication. I'd also love to be part of a group blog.  When I reach those goals, I'll definitely be celebrating those steps along the way as I develop my writing career.  Maybe I'll branch out to other cool ways to reward myself--bubblebath and other bath and body products, a new pair of shoes, or a new book for my Kindle.

How do you celebrate those milestones along the way? I'd love to hear your ideas. If you blog about it,  leave a link to your post here so we can all check out what you've shared!

Comments

  1. Those sound like great milestone celebrations! Coldstone sounds so good right now - that could become my new motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOh, I forgot bath products! I usually take the unadulterated baths, but that is a nice reward to luxuriate in the scented stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time letting myself taking breaks/relax, so your bubblebath idea sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart idea, posting progress. I've yet to set that up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of posting on the calendar when I finish a chapter or whatever. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss having a bathtub. :( Shoes as reward? That'd probably get me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used Google calendar to set goals and mark my progress all the way through my first draft, and it was so motivating to watch the numbers climb! I tried it again for revisions, but for some reason that didn't work as well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! It's great to hear from all of you and see what everyone's reward ideas were. I really loved this topic....of course, I say that every week ;D.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts