What's In A Name?: Choosing Your Book's Title

Today I want to talk about choosing a title for your book. The title is what's going to make people stop and take notice, intriguing potential readers enough to want to pick up your book above all others on the bookshelf just to see what it's about. So it should be unique, distinctive. A great title will also convey something about your story, and a strong title can greatly help contribute to sales.

So, how do you pick a title? Brainstorming is always a helpful strategy. It could be fun to set up an online poll to get feedback on your working title. I may just do that with The MirrorMasters. I've heard that my working title could be kind of a tongue twister, so at some point when the story is done, it may be time to do some brainstorming to come up with other potential title ideas. The current title is definitely unique, and it is the name of the ability that the main character Leah has. I've also read to go with your gut instinct, though of course your publisher makes the final choice for the title. For those who have been through this process, I'd love to hear your stories on how you came up with your title.

I discovered a page, Lulu Titlescorer, where you can put in your title and get the likelihood that your book will become a bestseller. It's based on your title and the characteristics of that title, which you enter into a form that's scored. Give it a try, just for the fun of it!

Comments

  1. I'm terrible with titles, but it so happened that when I finally started working on a unique novel that a unique title came out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not great with titles, either. But it's wonderful that you came up with a unique novel and title :) What's your title, so I can hopefully find it on the bookshelves one day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried that generator! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that title scorer is cool! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! Great to see that people are enjoying the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lulu Titlescorer doesn't seem to rate my chances particularly highly. Might have some work to do ;-)

    Brainstorming is a great way to come up with title ideas. I often write down a couple of ideas at a time, then go back to it the next day to add a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MirrorMasters would sure look cool on a cover though. I can picture neat effects, like a mirror-image thing with the two Ms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Leila! Mine was only 30 something percent, but you never know :). Anyway, it is fun working on coming up with a title. Brainstorming is definitely useful for that and for a lot of things. I probably need to use the strategy more often.

    Ooh, thanks, Michelle! I wanted to do something with a mirror-image effect for the title but haven't yet figured out how. Maybe with Photoshop...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment