Aspiring Authors: Never Give Up

Never give up.

This is the piece of advice I've seen most often when it comes to writing, and I have to agree with it. We're going to be faced with lots of rejections from editors, publishers, and literary agents until we find the right one who decides to take a chance on our work. It only takes that one. We're going to face a lot of feedback, both positive and some even harshly negative.

Never give up in the face of it. We write because it is something we love to do, and even because it is something we have to do. We write because it inspires our emotions and creativity, and does the same in others. It makes us laugh, it makes us cry. It makes us angry, or leaves us breathless with anticipation. It even wakes us up in the middle of the night with an idea that just won't let go and we know we have to write out that story somehow.

Never give up, because this is what we were meant to do. Write, create, have fun, and love exploring the craft. Read, and learn, and write some more. Keep honing skills, and play. Persistence will pay off.

Comments

  1. Well written, and I very much agree with this. You've summed up the reason why I, and probably most other writers do what we do. =)

    For me, it may be just a hobby, but it's a hobby that I greatly enjoy and will not stop doing. I've been writing since I was eight (and have had ideas floating around in my head for longer), and don't have any plans to stop soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do we hear it so often? Becasue it is true. If we aren't very good writers, then we'll get better by not giving up. If we're good, then by not giving up eventually we'll get published, at least that's how I see it.

    I wasn't very good, but my writing got better and now I think it's good enough. I'd like to know if you agree. If you're interested, you can read ch1 of 'Lethal Inheritance’ (YA fantasy) at
    http://publishersearch.wordpress.com/lethal-inheritance/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! It's great to hear from you on this site, Mandee. Sorry it's taken me awhile to check this blog. It's been a hectic time. Anyway, I'd love to hear about some of your ideas if you care to share :). Maybe at some point we could collaborate on an original writing project. Ohh, and I so owe you a post on our lovely new rp. I shall post for you tonight.

    Tahlia, that's how I see it too, and thanks so much for taking the time to comment and leave a link to your story I love the title and will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment